Britain's Colonies in the War: No. 10 - Cyprus
Strategic strong-point in the Eastern Mediterranean, Cyprus, which proved a deterrent bastion against further German progress in the area during the critical days of the African campaign, has been a British colony since 1925. The island, 3,572 square miles in extent, is chiefly an agricultural producer, sending fruit and vegetables to help feed our Middle East armies and also to Britain. Among other war materials produced are quantities of asbestos and chrome.
Contribution of a high order in the active war theatres has been made by the Cyprus Regiment (comprising transport and pioneer companies) which has served in Greece, Crete, Egypt, Libya and Abyssinia; it was the first colonial regiment to contact the enemy in France.
Unloading stores on the quayside at Famagusta, the island's chief port. British gunners of the A.A. defences receive instruction in the use of field radio transmission sets designed to increase their already high efficiency as marksmen, while another "class" of men handle a light Bofors gun, watched by General Sir Bernard C. T. Paget, K.C.B., D.S.O., M.C., C.-in-C. Middle East Forces, during a tour of inspection. On the ancient ramparts of Famagusta, men of a naval signals post keep watch.